The Festival of the Lights 2017 , is repeated for the second consecutive year and in commemoration of the Ecuadorian Independence Day ( August 10 ). It will be held from the 9 th til 13 th of August 2017 .
Nine light works of art will be installed in emblematic patrimonial Churches at the Historic Center of Quito.
For the Mayor of Quito and the Ministry of Culture, the Festival of Lights, has the purpose that people of Quito get proud of the heritage in the city.
This artistic festival is possible trough the close collaboration of the Government of France and especially of the French city of Lyon. This year La Fiesta de la Luz , will be presented in August as part of the Summer of the Arts in Quito and will be bigger than last year.
Jean-Francois Zurawik, director of events in the city of Lyon, is who directly leads the team working with the Ministry of Culture. Together they have developed the new edition of this event that quotes great French lighting artists in Quito. 67 proposals from national artists were considered and reviewed but just 4 were selected for this edition of the Festival of Lights.
From France will come works by Leslie Epsztein, Laurent Langlois, Eric Michel, Patrice Warrener and Daniel Knipper and from Ecuador , the artists are Fidel Eljuri, Pablo Mora, Miguel Vélez and Isabel Páez.
The artistic interventions of the Festival of Lights will be:
· Basilica of the National Vote: BASILICOLOR – Patrice Warrener
· Basilica of the National Vote: ALTAR DE LUZ – Isabel Páez
· La Merced: STRATOS – Fidel Eljuri
· Calle Sucre – façade of the Company: VITRALES – Pablo Mora
· Quito Metropolitan Cathedral: A POETIC UNIVERSE – Daniel Knipper
· Carlos Andrade Marín Square: PLATONIUM – Eric Michel
· Plaza del Teatro Sucre: VOYAGES – Leslie Epsztein
· Plaza de San Blas: HALF OF THE WORLD – Miguel Vélez
· Santo Domingo Square: NATURA – Laurent Langlois
This Festival of Light in Quito is, according to director Zurawik, the most important of its kind in the whole continent.
Posted by GUIDE ECUADOR